These FABULOUS Leftover Ham and Mashed Potato Cakes are Cheesy and Gooey on the Inside and Crispy and Golden on the Outside!
For instance, with the holidays fast approaching, so many of you will be serving plenty of delicious meals, and will most likely, have some mashed potatoes and ham left over.
The good news, is that your leftovers can easily be used the next day for other meals.
Underneath these crispy, golden potato cakes, you’ll find a soft and cheesy
center bursting with flavors.
If you make this recipe for dinner, you will have
everyone craving for more!😍
Looking for more leftover ham and mashed potato recipes?
Then, make sure to check out my easy Sheet Pan Pierogi Quesadillas! You will find they are so easy to make and you only need 5 ingredients!
MY LATEST VIDEO :
Why make these leftover ham and mashed potato cakes?
Firstly, leftover mashed potatoes no longer have to be boring but can instead be turned into these FANTASTIC cheesy potato cakes!
Secondly, these can be served, topped with sour cream, chives, ketchup, extra cheese, or anything else your little heart desires! 💗
Finally, they are just that GOOD!!
More Favorite Delicious Ham Recipes :
- Ham and Gnocchi au Gratin
- Sheet Pan Pierogi Quesadillas
- The Best Leftover Ham, Bean and Tortellini Soup
Want to try this recipe?
PIN it and SAVE it for later!
Cheddar Ham and Potato Cakes
- 3 tbsp oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups cold leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- Green onions for garnish (optional)
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil, in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute with a little salt and pepper until translucent.Add garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Set aside and let cool.
- In a large bowl and the mashed potatoes, eggs, flour, and cheese. Mix together using a potato masher or/and your hands, until well combined.
- Fold in the ham and the cooled onions and garlic.
- Using an ice cream scoop or your hands, place a spoonful of potato mixture between your palms and pat to form a round, 1/2-inch thick patty.NOTE: You may have to add more flour if your potatoes are too creamy and don't hold their shape well.
- Dip both sides of each potato cake into the breadcrumbs until completely coated. Place them aside on a parchment-covered pan, cutting board, or plate.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Make sure you have enough oil to cover the entire surface of the pan. Add more if needed.
- Once the oil is hot, add cakes in a single layer, making sure to not overcrowd the pan. You will have to cook them in batches. Let them cook until golden brown and crispy on each side, and cooked through.Note: Don't overcrowd the pan and don't flip the cakes too early or they won't be able to form a nice crisp crust.
- Top with sour cream and green onions if desired.Serve and Enjoy!